In 2005, the first virus to attack mobile phones and Bluetooth technology, was witnessed which increases security threat.
In United States, 35% of PCs are infected and in India and China the level has gone up to 50%. Professionals in the security field state that the initial virus was transmitted as early as 1981.
It is said that the first virus was created on November 3rd, 1983. From that time malware and viruses have invaded computer systems and caused havoc throughout the world.
Dangers via the Internet
The inception of advanced communication such as the Internet, Bluetooth and mobile telephones has led to the spread of computer viruses at a scary rate.
The advantage brought about by such development is that initially just a few computers would be infected. Today, however, thousands, or millions are prone to the viruses.
Early Warnings Weaken Infection of Computers by 10%
- A big network (ARPANET) utilized by universities and the government of US, had a virus infection in 1987. A computer security expert’s son called Robert Morris sent a damaging code via ARPANET. His father worked for the National Security Agency.
- This affected around 10% of the computer hosts which were connected to the network which were just 60,000. The code duplicated itself and seeped through network computers.
- As a result, the dimensions of the files spread to the memories of the computers, therefore disabling a number of machines. Today, a scary number of PCs (66%) are infected by Spyware while viruses in the United States infect 35%.
- Nowadays, billions of people are connected to the internet and computer hosts numbering millions generally connect emails, chatting and exchanging files. This signifies how simple it is for a malware of virus to spread.
- Malware or malicious code has already been in existence for nearly 25 years. Each year, people and companies numbering millions lose great amounts of money. This is in form of data which is lost or cannot be recovered.
- On top of this, some viruses clog system resources and connections for the internet also, which renders it impossible to work. This creates a lot of distress and annoyance when the root of the problem is not known.
- The initial step to secure your PC is to ensure that the OS (operating system) is up to date. This is crucial since manufacturers of OS like Microsoft Windows update their product’s security features consistently to take care of any likely lapses or existing ones.
- The second step is to make sure that the anti-virus software operating on your system is updated. Ensure you select the best ones available in today’s market. Make sure that the software for anti-virus is updated often, even everyday if necessary.
- Fixes should be carried out to the main engine and the database files which consist of the newest cures against the latest viruses, Trojans and worms.
- The software for anti-virus should be capable of scanning files and email while they are being downloaded from the Internet. This assists in preventing malware from going to your system.
Utilizing the appropriate tools and insisting that the websites you utilize regularly do the same, will minimize security threats. Also, be cautious of the material you download from the internet.
For instance, not every company which claims that their software consists of adware is genuine. It is possible that there is spyware hidden inside the program.
Ensure that you read privacy policies and agreements for license. Firewalls should also assist you a lot in protection against malware and spyware.